Monday, May 24, 2010

First Adjustment! Ouch!

Well, I know I missed my self-imposed Thursday posting, also the day of my first adjustment, but I have good reason. My eldest dog had major surgery so I was a little distracted first with the surgery, then her recovery and after care. She is fine so now, I will post the pictures...I know you've been waiting with bated breath! (ha!)

Day I got braces:


After first adjustment and new arch wire:



To me, I can see a lot of changes especially when you look at the level of the top teeth. they are so much closer to being even as compared to the first day. You can really notice the difference if you see the hitch in the wire on the first day on the left side of the picture (right side of my mouth). The canine on the bottom of that side is also rotated more into line as well. There is also additional spaces on either side of the front teeth on the bottom. The top teeth are almost in line now, whereas when I started one over lapped the other.


The Orthodontist was very happy with my progress. They "upped" the gauge of the arch wire. It's thicker now.I picked the purple bands again as well, I like them. Also, I go back for my next adjustment July 1st so I'll likely pick a more patriotic blue then. ;-)


With the thicker wire, I fully expected that it would be more painful than the first day. Surprisingly, it was only really sore for about 24 hours. It hurt enough at bedtime that I was sweating so I took Tylenol PM and went to sleep. When I woke up Friday morning, I was in a world of hurt. I think things were made worse by the sinus infection I have, the stress of the teeth moving pressing against sore sinuses wasn't too fun.


I took a decongestant, some Tylenol and went back to sleep. When I got up, I felt much better with only 2 or 3 really sensitive teeth.


Now I'm down to one tooth that's "touchy" as long as I don't bite, chew or pull with it, it's OK.

I'll take that. I mean when I first got my braces it took a full month for me to feel as good as I do now. If it stays like this, this "braces thing" won't be so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment