Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Going back in time


How appropriate that on Ground Hog Day, I feel like I'm going back in time? A case of deja vu like Bill Murray in the movie "Ground Hog Day". I had braces when I was a kid. Now through a series of events, I'm getting them again, at age THIRTY-SEVEN.
It was an easy choice. My bite has become "open" meaning my front teeth do not meet making it hard to bite off things like bread. Additionally, they are misaligned in other ways. This is causing undue pressure on my jaw and pain.

We hope that by correcting my bite, we can releve some of the pain. I'm looking forward to being able to bite off a piece of bread, but that's just the 'carb lover' in me. ;-)

I go to the orthodontist in just a few days to have the consult (I was referred there by an oral surgeon, due to the jaw issues) and have the impressions made. We'll then make our plan of attack.

I'll admit, I have some apprehension. Who wouldn't. How do I get up in front of people at work with a tin grin? Do I stay serious and get plain rubber bands or go for the funky colors?

I know logically that it's the right thing to do and a means to an end but, I keep having flashbacks to my teen years.

The orthodontist I had back then, I didn't like. I didn't have a choice or voice in picking him. He was not a pleasant person and I hated going. It's hard to comply and do the things you are supposed to to help your treatment when you can't stand the person you have to see so often.

I am hopeful (as my friend has gone to the new guys) that these people will be professional and help me toward my goal: straight, aligned teeth will much less jaw pain.
ADDED: I was reviewing my post and realized there is even more "deja vu" in my life. I recently joined the Alumni choir at my high school. We range in age from people who graduated last year to even fifty years ago. We perform at the concerts with the kids. Then, I started piano lessons, something I've always wanted to do, but never had a chance to do before now.
So to sum it up:
I "went back" to high school
I'm taking piano lessons
I'm getting braces
My poor husband is going to think he's married to a teenager!

No comments:

Post a Comment